The first Invitation letter for Visa that I wrote was done in 2002 when I invited my dad to visit me in Canada. I searched the web for a sample invitation letter for visa and at that time I did not find any good samples. I then contacted a friend who is an immigration lawyer who helped me out.
Since then, I have helped many other people to write several invitation letters for visas to friends and family. On this site you will find tips and suggestion on how to write a simple but effective invitation letter for visa to any country in the world.
What is an Invitation Letter for Visa or Letter of Invitation for VisaAn invitation letter for visa is a letter written to a guest who resides in one country to invite them to visit you in another country. This document is then used as part of the supporting documents that will be presented in order to obtain a visa to enter into your country. It is usually presented at the visa interview or included in a package and sent along with the application for a visitor visa. The invitation letter for visa is different from an invitation to a social event within a country because it contains immigration details that are not required in the social invitation letter. Read about invitation letters for events here.
Here is a little description of what an invitation letter for visa is from the Canadian Immigration website. The invitation letter is designed to clearly communicate the motives and planned activities of the trip as well as declare the applicant’s intentions to return to their country at the end of the visit. An invitation letter does not guarantee approval in any way.
Sample invitation letter for Visa – Important Data
All Invitation letters for Visa purposes contains certain basic information. Your task as a host (the one inviting a guest) is to ensure that these basic information about your guest and their trip is included in the letter. Here are the basic information that should be on any letter. Most visa officers or consular would not require every single detail on this list but I suggest you include them all so that you have covered what is required.
Information about the person being invited:
- Complete name – First Name and Last Name (Surname) as shown on their International Passport. Use ALL CAPS for the surname if you can. This helps to easily identify which of the names is the surname.
- Date of birth (This further identifies your guest)
- The person’s address and telephone number.
- Your relationship to the person being invited.
- The purpose of the trip (friendly visit, holiday, wedding, birthday party..). There is a different type of invitation letter for business visits (conferences, seminars, trade shows). Here is the information on writing an Invitation letter for Business visa.
- How long the person you are inviting intends to stay (Use exact dates e.g from June 23 2016 to July 23, 2016)
- Details on accommodation and living expenses (Your home, a hotel, etc)
Information about the person writing the letter:
- Complete name ( As shown on your immigration document)
- Date of birth (this is not required because it is on your document that will be attached. I usually include all these as a list at the end of the letter)
- Address and telephone number (Where you live and are inviting your guest to)
- Your status in the host country (If you are on a work visa, student visa, permanent resident, a citizen or any other legal status).
Once you have all this data handy, all you need to do is formulate it into a letter. The way the letter is formulated is not very important, however it must reflect the fact that you are able to communicate effectively.
The letter should be written in the official language of the country that will be issuing the visa.
To whom do you address your Invitation Letter for Visa
Invitation letter for visa purposes can be addressed to either the guest (the person you are inviting) or the Consular Office, Embassy or Visa Application Center. In most cases, the letter will be giving to the guest to attach to their application for visa. This means that whether you address the letter to your Guest or the Embassy, you will still send the letter to your guest.
Should the Invitation letter for visa be formal or Informal?
It is your choice to determine if you want the invitation letter to be formal or informal. If you choose to address your letter to the Consulate or Embassy, then it should be formal. However if you are writing to a friend, it could be formal or informal.
How should the Invitation letter for Visa be delivered?
There is no stipulated way of delivery for your letter of invitation. You can mail it to your guest or scan it and send via email. Some countries however, require that the letter be notarized. In this case, you have to find a way to get the original copy to your guest. In USA, Canada and United Kingdom, a scanned copy of the invitation letter for visa can be sent.
How does the visa officer evaluate an invitation letter?
The Chief of the Non-Immigrant Visa Unit at the U.S. Consulate in Casablanca, Morocco, Ms. Nahal Kazemi, participated in a Town Hall meeting with Moroccan Americans, in Washington, where she spoke about various aspects of immigration policies affecting the Moroccan and Moroccan-American community. In this clip, she talks about the invitation letter for US visa.
Is an Invitation Letter for Visa really necessary?
Many countries required an invitation letter for the issuance of a visitor visa in the past. These days however, some countries have stated that an invitation letter for visa application is not required.
Nevertheless, they require a proof of the purpose of your visit and an invitation letter in many cases is the only proof you have that you want to go and visit your cousin or girlfriend for a few weeks.
If however you want to visit the USA for example and you have no friend there, you do not need to look for an invitation letter from a stranger. Find ways of showing that you are visiting the country as a tourist and that would satisfy the requirement to show proof of the purpose of your visit. Read what the US visa office has to say on this issue
Before you start writing you invitation letter
If you do not have Grammarly – A grammar checker that I use every day for all my writing, please get it free from here Now. Grammarly. You can read my full story on how I discovered Grammarly here.
Show me a Sample invitation letter for Visa
How to use a Sample Invitation Letter for Visa
The best way to use a sample invitation letter for visa is for inspiration. Do not copy the sample word for word. For example if you need to invite your brother. You can use the sample invitation letter for visa addressed to a cousin and make necessary changes.
Now go and write that letter of invitation. I hope your guest comes and you have a nice holiday. Do not hesitate to leave a comment or question.
Documents to attach to the Invitation letter for VisaWhen writing any letter of invitation, you will need to attach documents that substantiate your claims in the letter. Some examples of such documents include
- Data Page of your Passport – This shows you are a citizen of the host country
- Copy of your Pay Slip
- Copy of your Tenancy.
Please be reminded again that the Consulate does not require that these documents be sent. You send them to show that your guest really has a place to stay and would not be stranded. You and your guest should bear in mind that section 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) states: “Every alien shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer, at the time of application for admission, that he is entitled to a nonimmigrant status.”
This means that the visa applicant (the guest) must provide other documents in addition to the invitation letter to support their application for visa.
Sample invitation letters organized by situations
What Next After the Invitation Letter is Written?
Once you have written an invitation letter, you send it with copies of your documents as listed above to your guest. You guest will them obtain and fill out an application for visa form. The procedure for obtaining and filling out these forms as well as cost vary from country to country. It is the responsibility of your guest to contact the embassy or consulate of the country they want to visit to find out the procedure. Most embassies have these procedures listed on their websites. You can find links to some of these websites on the right hand side of this page.
In many cases, your guest would need to schedule an appointment for visa interview online. In some countries, the visa office will contact your guest to give him or her a date for a visa interview. During this interview several questions will be asked to determine their eligibility for a visitor visa and to confirm that what they wrote in their application is true.
If the visa officer is satisfied with the answers they provide to her questions, they will be issued a visa. The visa office will then instruct them on when to come back for their international passport with the visa already placed in it.
Other Articles that may be useful for visa application
Not all visa applications require an invitation letter. And other than the invitation letter, there are other processes that go on before the visa is issued. I have compiled some articles below that you may find useful.
Schengen Visa Application Cover Letter – Samples for Tourist, Medical and Business Visa ApplicationsA Schengen Visa Cover Letter is the letter, which the visa applicant writes for the embassy where the visa application documents will be submitted.
A Schengen visa cover letter contains:
- The purpose of your travel to the Schengen member state or states
- Proof of how you will fund your trip (own funds or sponsor)
- If you have a sponsor – explain your personal relationship with your sponsor and the reason why they will be sponsoring your trip
- An overview of your itinerary, which also explains why you chose to apply at the specific Embassy
- If you cannot submit any of the required documents, write about the reasons why you cannot submit and explain alternative documents that you may have submitted
- Your intent to return to your home country – you can also write a separate letter of intent to explain your rootedness to your home country
It is important to write a cover letter as a way of communication with the embassy officer that will/is going to process your visa application.
Especially, now that a lot of the Embassies use the VFS services to collect documents and deliver the applicant’s passport, you have no chances given to speak to the visa officers and explain your details. As the visa officers make their decisions based on the documents you provide, it is highly recommended to write a cover letter that would do the explaining for you.
Therefore, write a compelling cover letter even though it is not to be found on the list of required documents!
Make sure your cover letter is written according to your travel purpose, such as: Business, Health, Visit, etc.
Cover Letter Sample for a Tourist Visa Application
Find a personal template or sample of a tourist visa cover letter with details below:
April 03, 2017
EMBASSY OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF GERMANY
No. 6/50G Shanti Path,
Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110021
Subject: Anjali XXXXXXX, Indian Passport No: XXXXXX, Schengen Visa for Visit Friend/Famliy
I would like to apply for a Schengen visa upon my intention to travel to Germany from June 2 to June 28, 2017.
The main purpose of my travel is to visit my German friends. However, I look very forward to also visit the magnificent sights throughout Germany, as well as experience the famous German food and learn the German culture and way of life. During my stay, me and my friends wish to spend a holiday in the Netherlands and France to celebrate my upcoming graduation.
I am employed at <name of employer> in <address of employer> since April 2014, currently holding the position of Marketing Executive. My employer has already approved my vacation from work for the duration of this trip.
Please, find the following documents to support my visa application:
- Visa application form, duly dated and signed with attached passport-size pictures
- Passport, showing my travel experience
- Travel Insurance, coverage of €30,000
- E-ticket reservation for my flight via LH for New Delhi – Frankfurt – New Delhi [June 2-June 28, 2017]
- Hotel reservations for our holidays in the Netherlands and France
- Employment and leave certificates showing approved leaves as well as the date I am expected to return to work
- ITR, Payslips, and Savings Account as proof of my income
Also, the additional documents required for Medical Purposes Schengen Visa Application:
- Enclosed copies of medical records about your condition
- Bank statements and health insurance coverage to cover for medical expenses in [name of country]
- June 2, 2017 – Flight from New Delhi to Frankfurt via LH-761
- June 7, 2017 – Sightseeing in Germany
- June 10, 2014 – Travel from Frankfurt to Amsterdam Schiphol; Arrive in Amsterdam and stay at Clemens Hotel
- June 11, 2017 – Sightseeing in the Netherlands
- June 14, 2017 – Travel from Amsterdam Schiphol to Paris Gard du Nord and stay at Ibis Hotel – Sacré Coeur
- June 15, 2017 – Sacré Coeur, Opera, Tour Eiffel, Musee du Lourve
- June 17, 2017 – Chateau de Versailles
- June 20, 2017 – Travel from Paris Gard du Nord to Frankfurt via Air France
- June 28, 2017 – Flight back to New Delhi from Frankfurt via Lufthansa
I trust that you will find everything is in order. For any questions or clarifications, please do not hesitate to contact me anytime.
Thanking you in advance for a favorable reply to my application.
<Your Complete Name>
<Your Address>, India
Cover Letter Sample for Medical Visa Application
Please use the following guidelines when you submit a cover letter for medical purposes to the Embassy:
- The diagnosis must be specific
- The recommended treatment must be named and described in detail by a licensed health care provider
- Your provider must state a specific length of treatment. Lifetime or indefinite lengths of treatment will not be approved
Find a personal template or sample of a Schengen visa cover letter with details below:
Name of Referring Hospital
Address and Phone
I am writing on behalf of my patient, (patient name here), to document the medical need of (medication/treatment/equipment in question) for the treatment of (the exact diagnosis). Please, find in this letter the information regarding the patient’s medical diagnosis and history and a summary of my treatment motive.
Patient’s Diagnosis and History:
(Here include the information regarding the patient’s condition and diagnosis as well as the patient’s relatable history)
(Include information on the treatment and the course of care up to this point, and why the medication/treatment/equipment in question) is required and how you expect it will benefit your patient.)
(Length of time the medication/treatment/equipment in question is necessary – possibly not exceeding 12 months)
In summary, the (medication/treatment/equipment in question) is medically necessary for this patient’s medical condition and/or improvement.
Please, do not hesitate to contact me should any additional information be required to ensure the approval of the (medication/treatment/equipment in question).
(Name and signature of physician)
Your licensed provider must complete, date and sign the letter.
Read also: Business Schengen Visa Cover Letter Sample