Writing a term paper requires mobilizing all your resources—emotional, intellectual, and technical. No matter if you’ve missed a couple of classes or if you hardly remember the course’s subject, a term paper can be your window of opportunity to pass this course. Effective tools can give you a great boost. Here are 99+ of the Internet’s hidden gems for your term papers - online libraries and tools you can use to your advantage for free.
Academic Search Engines
One of the first steps in writing a successful term paper is extensive research. If you simply Google your topic, commercial links and irrelevant data will pop out of your screen when you least expect them, but this will never be the case if you study for your term papers online using these engines:
- Google Scholar is a metasearch engine returning only reliable search results that can be cited in term papers (books, scholarly articles, educational sites pages). Using advanced settings, you can choose the years of publication and sort the results by year of publication or relevance.
- iSEEK Education is a search engine created for academic research.
- RefSeek (more than 1 billion documents) is a large database supporting students in their online research.
- Virtual LRC (Virtual Learning Resources Center) is a repository of academic resources.
- Digital Library of the Commons Repository is a collection of scholarly articles and research papers.
- The OALster database is the gateway to academic resources in various disciplines.
- Internet Public Library stores resources of all kinds, but academic-related literature is among them.
- Worldcat is an effective and easy-to-use engine for researching your term papers online.
- Microsoft Academic Search is an academic search engine for multidisciplinary research.
- WolframAlpha guarantees no commercial or sponsored links in your search results.
Are you annoyed with academic teasers, showing you just a few lines from a study you badly need? These free full-text academic databases will show you how to find info for your term paper online without the unnecessary worries.
- Library of Congress is a reputable resource that definitely deserves your attention.
- arXiv.org (math and sciences) is a gold mine for those who study math and sciences.
- Archievenet is a large digital archive with materials in various disciplines.
- NASA Search for Educational Resources a tool for searching educational resources online from NASA.
- Smithsonian Research Information System will help you do a quick and effective academic investigation.
- Google Correlate (shows trends) can give you valuable information on trends in the U.S. population and states.
- The British Library Catalogues contain a great amount of material, mainly published in the United Kingdom.
- CIA World Factbook is an easy way to find valuable arguments for your term papers online.
- State Legislative Websites Directory is an open database for doing research in law.
- OpenDOAR is a search repository for freely available academic information.
Term Paper Examples Online
Learn by example from the following term paper samples approved by top institutions:
- Infoplease offers 3 examples of term papers that are fully cited and show what a quality term paper should look like.
- Noreen Reale Falcone Library has a collection of term paper samples that would be useful for historians and students studying history.
- Owl Purdue Online Writing Lab. You can download here a sample paper in MLA format that adheres to the updates of 2016.
- A Research Paper contains not only the text of the term paper but also brief and succinct explanations of why this sample deserves the highest grade.
- Sample Research Papers by the University of California Santa Barbara is a list illustrating different citation styles and content that should be included in term papers in different disciplines.
- A Quantitative Research Paper Sample shows the style and methods to be used in a quantitative design of a research paper.
- Insight for Writing a Qualitative Research Paper will initiate you into the intricacies of a qualitative research method.
- Sociology Student Research Projects is a collection of 100+ open access full-text research papers in sociology completed by top and award-winning students from Saint Mary’s college. It’s a go-to place if you want to find open academic materials for your term paper online.
- Sample Research Paper Proposals include 40+ research papers in engineering, social sciences, medicine, and other fields.
- Palgrave Macmillan Free Articles offer 1,000+ free access full-text articles in various disciplines and covering different topics.
Term Paper Proposals
- MLA Style Paper from Microsoft Office offers to edit an MLA template in browser.
- Sample Research Proposals include 25 sample proposals in various disciplines.
- Research Proposal Examples for qualitative and quantitative studies show the intricacies of different research designs.
- York St. John Research Proposal Examples can be a perfect start to your term paper.
- APA Research Proposal Worksheet illustrates the main principles of APA formatting and research process.
- An Annotated Research Proposal Sample not only demonstrates how a research proposal should look like but also explains why certain elements should be in the right places.
- Undergraduate Engineering Research Proposal specifies the importance and value of research.
- Utah State University Research Proposals illustrate the different types of research proposals using different models and methods.
- Five Principles for Research Ethics demonstrate the main ethic principles of academic research used in practice.
- University of Toledo Research Proposals will come in handy for anyone who is looking for term paper help online.
Free Full-Text Scientific Articles
Free full-text academic publications can be an excellent source of inspiration.
- FreeFullPDF is a quick and easy-to-use academic search engine giving access to more than 80 million valuable academic publications.
- HighWire claims to be the largest archive of free full-text articles in the world, with nearly 3 million open access documents in its database. No matter if it’s true or not, the database is worthy of your attention.
- JURN invites you to search millions of free academic articles.
- Cambridge Journals offer free access to particular articles, volumes, and issues.
- DOAJ is a directory of open access journals.
- DOAB stands for a directory of open access books.
- AJOL is a collection of peer-reviewed African-published scholarly journals. Many of these resources would be helpful for researching your term papers online.
- Bloomsbury Collection is an archive of selected research publications in the social sciences and humanities.
- IDEAS is a bibliographic database with open access research reports in economics and finance.
- IDRC (International Development Research Center) supports initiatives of scholars living in developing countries and makes their findings available to anyone on the web.
Free Medical Journals
- New England Journal of Medicine offers a wide range of medical studies.
- British Medical Journal is an open access archive with thousands of pages of valuable research findings.
- Clinical Infectious Diseases contains a digital archive of study reports with a convenient search option.
- Brain: A Journal of Neurology invites you to check out free access full-text articles on brain development and various issues related to it.
- International Journal of Medical Sciences has high-quality, up-to-date reports covering various fields of study.
- Pediatrics is the official journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics, which discusses different aspects of children’s health.
- Diabetes focuses on symptoms, causes, cures, and preventative measures for different forms of diabetes.
- BMC Medicine is a regularly updated open general collection of peer-reviewed articles in all areas of clinical practice.
- Hypertension is a branch of American Heart Association publishing, focusing on hypertension and its aspects.
- Mayo Clinic Proceedings include the latest findings in various fields of medical research.
- Journal of Clinical Investigation is an open access collection of articles, medical case studies, and research reports.
- Heart focuses on heart diseases and opportunities to improve functioning of this important organ.
- Journal of Neuroscience discusses current problems in the field of neuroscience research and trials.
- Free Medical Jounals by Amedeo.com. More that 5000 medical journals in free access online.
- Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism offers a variety of free access articles discussing the role of hormones and metabolism in an individual’s health.
- Obstetrics and Gynecology discusses various aspects of women’s health.
- Journal of Nutrition presents the latest findings in the field of healthy eating and the effects of eating habits on an individual’s health.
- Annals of Surgery present a collection of scholarly articles on the history and practice of surgery.
- Anesthesiology offers free articles and peer-reviewed studies on modern anesthesiology methods, possible side effects, and directions for future research.
- Critical Care is a collection of open access digital articles that will come in handy for those who collect information for their term papers online or those who work in this field.
Open Computer Science Resources
- CiteSeer is a digital library for scientific and scholarly articles in the field of computers and information science.
- CogPrints is a digital archive containing articles in psychology, neuroscience, and computer studies.
- Collection of Computer Science Bibliographies is one of the oldest collections freely available on the web and covering numerous aspects of computer science.
- DBLP is a free access bibliography, consisting of journals, conferences, and workshops.
- Scientillion is a free repository of open access articles in computer science and quantitative research in other areas.
- Index Copernicus is a multidisciplinary collection of scientific publications.
- Information Bridge provides quick access to science, technology, and development information.
- SciTech Connect a free web service providing free access to online academic resources.
- SciELO is a free digital library providing access to open journals.
- Science.gov is a web portal containing links to U.S. federal, scientific, and technical information.
Free Digital Resources in Social Sciences
- GENESIS is a collection of women’s history accounts and open access articles.
- POPLINE has a comprehensive collection of literature on reproductive health and family planning.
- Psychology’s Feminist Voices is an online multimedia archive with free access articles in psychology.
- PubPsych is a gold mine with free access articles for those doing research in psychology.
- RePEc offers research papers in economics.
- SSRN is a Social Science Research Network.
- VET-Bib is a free open access database with scholarly articles in education and social sciences.
- WorldWideScience is a metasearch engine that will return results from numerous scientific databases that are not easy to find online.
- Social Sciences Journals offer a variety of scholarly articles discussing different aspects of social sciences.
- Open Journal of Social Sciences is a free access to scholarly articles in social sciences.
Open Access Journals in Other Disciplines.
Open Access Journals in Other Disciplines
- AULIMP is a gateway to free resources in military science.
- BASE is a Bielefeld academic search engine providing free access to scientific articles in various disciplines.
- Bioinformatic Harvester is a metasearch engine looking through 50 major bioinformatics databases.
- EconBiz will help you a lot if you’re looking for academic materials for your term papers online.
- LingBuzz is a free archive of articles and research papers in linguistics.
- PLOS is a public library of science that facilitates free education and free use of academic materials.
- NBER stands for the National Bureau of Economic Research.
- National Criminal Justice Reference Service will provide you with substantial information for your term paper in criminology or sociology.
- PhilPapers is the gateway to open access articles and peer-reviewed articles in philosophy.
- PubChem is a repository with full-text articles on chemistry.
So, researching your term papers online makes perfect sense. A variety of free repositories and databases will give you not only food for thought but also substantial content and format examples for your projects.
Whether Conducting Academic Research or Purely Scientific Research, These Sites can be an Invaluable Aid.
Researching is the most crucial step of writing a scientific paper. It is always a well-researched scientific paper that inspires the assessor. At the same time, it must have genuine and authentic information for credibility. With the development in Internet industry, i.e., web resources, researching for scientific materials has now become a matter of a few clicks. Now students can get information on any topic pertaining to science through academic search engines. They provide a centralized platform and allow the students to acquire literature on any topic within seconds.
While there are many academic search engines available, there are some that have the most trusted resources. They provide information on a range of topics from Engineering and technology to Biology and Natural Science. They provide a one-stop solution to all research-related needs for a scientific paper. Besides, they provide a personal and customized way to search research materials on any given topic. This article will focus on some popular academic search engines that have revolutionized the way information is researched by the students. They are rich in information and have the highest level of credibility.
- Google Scholar (http://scholar.google.com/): Google Scholar is a free academic search engine that indexes academic information from various online web resources. The Google Scholar lists information across an array of academic resources, mostly are peer-reviewed. It works in the same manner as Scirus. Founded in 2004, it is one of the widely used academic resources for researchers and scholars.
- CiteSeerx (http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu): CiteSeerx is a digital library and an online academic journal that offer information within the field of computer science. It indexes academic resources through autonomous citation indexing system. This academic database is particularly helpful for students seeking information on computer and information sciences. It offers many other exclusive features to facilitate the students with the research process that include: ACI – Autonomous Citation Indexing, reference linking, citation statistics, automatic metadata extraction and related documents. Founded in 1998, it is the first online academic database and has since evolved into a more dynamic and user-friendly academic search engine.
- GetCITED (http://www.getcited.org/): GetCITED is another powerful tool for searching scientific information. It is an online academic database that indexes academic journals and citations. It is a one-stop platform that offers everything related to academic publications such as chapters, conference papers, reports and presentations. You can even browse through the bibliographies to search related details. Furthermore, you can find information on any author and his published works. The two ‘most outstanding’ features of this academic search engine tool include: ‘a comprehensive database’ and ‘discussion forum’. It allows every member from academia to contribute in its database resources. It has over 3,000,000 written by more than 3,00,000 authors.
- Microsoft Academic Research (http://academic.research.microsoft.com/): Microsoft academic research is yet another top search engine for academic resources. Developed by Microsoft Research, it has more than 48 millions publications written by over 20 millions authors. It indexes range of scientific journals from computer science and engineering to social science and biology. It has brought in many new ways to search academic resources, such as papers, authors, conferences and journals. This academic search engine allows you to search information based on authors or domains.
- Bioline International(http://www.bioline.org.br/): Bioline is among the most trusted and authentic search engines that has peer-reviewed academic journals on public health, food and nutritional security, food and medicine and biodiversity. It provides free access to peer-reviewed journals from third world countries. It promotes exchange of ideas through academic resources. Founded in 1993, it has 70 journals across 15 countries that offer information on subjects like crop science, biodiversity, public health and international development.
- Directory of Open Access Journals (http://www.doaj.org/): Director of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) is yet another free search engine for scientific and scholarly resources. The directory offers a huge range of topics within scientific areas of study. It is among the richest sources of scholarly database with over 8,000 journals available on different topics. All the journals are thoroughly peer-reviewed.
- PLOS ONE(http://www.plosone.org/): Founded in 2006, PLOSE ONE provides a free access platform to everyone searching for science-related information. All the articles publish on PLOS ONE are published after going through a strict peer-reviewed process. This academic database has a meticulous procedure for publishing a journal. You can find plenty of articles and academic publications using this platform.
- BioOne(http://www.bioone.org/): An excellent search engine for scientific information, BioOne contains academic resources for biological, environmental and ecological sciences. Established in 2000, it started as an NGO and later became an online academic journal directory. The journal gives free access to over 25000 institutions all over the world.
- Science and Technology of Advanced Materials (http://iopscience.iop.org/1468-6996/): First published in 2000, the science and technology of advanced materials became online in 2008. This peer-reviewed academic journal offers free access to academic journals on major areas of science and technology. The academic directory is totally free of cost and provides easy and simple access to plethora of information covering scientific subject-matters.
- New Journal of Physics (http://iopscience.iop.org/1367-2630): New Journal of Physics is an online scientific search engine that has academic databases with physics as core subject. Founded in 1998, it is co-founded by the Institute Of Physics and Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft. The search engine offers academic journals on diversified topics with physics as central theme.
- ScienceDirect (http://www.sciencedirect.com/): “A leading full-text scientific database offering journal articles and book chapters from more than 2,500 journals and almost 20,000 books.”
The above mentioned academic database and directories are among the most trusted search engines for scientific research. They offer information on possibly all the major areas of science including computer and technology, biology, environmental science and social sciences, and other areas of academic research.
*Image courtesy of Shutterstock.com